About Me

My photo
www.lisagoe.com Too many miraculous, strange, hilarious things happen to me...so its about time you all experience it with me through the ups and down of lisagoe.com

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Chapter 2

I’d like to paint a picture right now, of what and where i’m standing in my mind. my heart is beating fast, and my mind attempts to slow down but is at a consistant up and down of thoughts and emotions. I just feel foreign.

I’m sitting in my grandparents dining room, where live a turtle, June-hi, and a multiplicity of guppy fish, along with the occasional parakeet who decides to come and hang out with the other animals.

Above the “zoo” are Christmas 07 pictures, along with a picture of the squirrel my grandmother has befriended, boo-boo. At least thats his name for now until we figure out a better one.

As i sit at the table looking into the avante garde Gold mirror next to the dining table, i look down and stare at my “place mat”. Its a bamboo painted tupperware plate, but it “helps the table not get scratches”. My grandmother begins to prepare dinner. “Gahlee Lisa. What am i supposed to feed you. NO meat! NO meat! How are you going to help us eat all our food?!” I shrug, laugh and continue looking at my placemat recognizing the particularity my grandmother has in her house, and making notes in my head in order to please my new roommates.

My Grandma goes to a stack of newspapers in the corner and begins to choose articles of which i’m assuming she is going to read. Alas i am wrong again, and instead she uses them first on the floor under her feet, and then under the electric frying pan.

“Grandma..what are you doing?” She continues with what seems to be her every day routine, and says “ the oil splashes all over the place. It leaves such a mess.” I don’t want to seem rude or anything, but i laugh a little under my breath. She smiles, and says, “yes, i am very particular in the kitchen.”

She continues to cook Egg Fooyung (i’m assuming thats how you spell it) and it was beyond delicious. i’d never had it before, but it was a definite treat. Its basically an omelet and a pancake in one with all sorts of vegetables and shrimp, but i guess you can put anything in it. anyway. I give her great encouragement, and she smiles with appreciation.

I grab a plate and begin eating standing up. Both of my grandparents put their food on their plastic bamboo “place-mats”. Several more dishes of fruit, cheese, nuts, and vegetables are then put on the table next to the main dish. “Lisa, why you stand up and eat? where you learn that? go sit down.”

Not even realizing I had been standing and eating most of my life, I sit down to eat, and find myself in a foreign place. What do we talk about, how do i eat everything, am i supposed to eat everything or is it just out for being outsake.

Dinner finishes and the newspapers go into the recycling. Grandpa grabs a cantelope from the pantry, as well as a few more newspapers, and places them on the cutting board. “You want cantelope Lisa? Its good snack”. I reply, “Grandpa we just had dinner?” “okay, then..its good dessert”.

I am truly enjoying every moment i have with my grandparents, and through them i recognize, i’ve got a lot more living to do.

No comments: